Construction of the Upper Cage of the 110 cm Cruxis Telescope
Click here to view the design page of the Upper Cage.
- Overview of the Upper Cage
- Some construction details
- The 115 cm (45") inner diameter secondary cage with 200 mm (8") secondary will weigh less than 9 kg (20 lbs) and is still quite portable.
In the images the cage is fixed on its mounting ring (the lower ring in the assembly).
- A double spider gives superb stiffness at minimum weight. Spider vanes are 1 mm (0.04") thick and 100 mm (4") wide aluminum sheet:
- Attachment of the vanes on the tube is very simple with two bolts both on the edge and in the center:
- The branches are tensioned in the center using the small bolts that attach the central tube:
- A JMI EV-1nM focuser with motor is attached on two smaller tubes:
- The upper cage on the truss frame and light baffle installed: